Today we have been working in the garden and when you come in you still want something tasty yet quick. On opening the fridge to see what i can muster i see one of my favourites, the spanish chorizo! There is a whole host of things you can do with one these beauties as it adds so much flavour to your dishes.
So tonight we are are having a paella type dish, but i will not insult paella by even calling it this, as it not paella, so i have named it Spanish rice.
I have chose to put this on here as i am always getting asked how to create dishes that are quick to make, tasty and nutritious, and this is exactly this! it makes a quick great mid week meal and the kind of dish you can throw all sorts in. I have just thrown this together but thought i would share it to show you how you can create something full of flavour and quick.
EASY SPANISH RICE
- 1 Spanish chorizo sausage chopped into rounds
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 red pepper chopped into bite size chunks
- 5 large tomatoes chopped into large chunks
- 2 teasppons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- handful of chopped parsley
- 1 mug of frozen peas
- 2 mugs of Rice
- 4 mugs of boiling water or about 1 litre
- 1 chicken stock cube if you are making this gluten free ensure the stock cube is gluten free
- 1 can of cannellini beans
- salt and pepper
- sunflower oil for frying
- Half a lemon
- large paella pan or large pan for cooking
- chop the onion and the chorizo into rounds and fry in the pan with some sunflower oil until there is some nice colour on bothAdd the chopped garlic and tomatoes and peppers for one minute and then add the rice and stir round for one minute to allow the rice to take on the flavors.Melt the stock cube with the boiling water and add to the pan. Add the spices and dried herbs salt and pepper to the pan and also the can of cannellini beans and allow to simmer. After about 10-15 minutes the rice should start to be cooked, do check that the rice does not start to dry out and if needed add some more water if needed if the rice is not cooked through and check for seasoning and add if required. 5 minutes before the end of cooking add 1 mug of frozen peas and these will cook though. Once the rice is cooked and you want a little moister left in the pan add your chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon. Check for seasoning and you are ready to serve.