This dish is a great vegetarian dish, which you can prepare in advance and a fabulous midweek dish when you don’t have a lot of time and let the oven do the work. You can either make it the night before and leave it in the fridge for when you get in and just reheat it or just adapt what you put in to make it less time consuming to prepare. Sometimes i just make it with tomatoes aubergines and courgettes with a cheese sauce over the top and its gorgeous and very quick!
So you will need:
4 medium sized potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium onion
1 clove of garlic
1 jar of cooked and peeled peppers
200g of dairy free mozzarella cheese grated or your choice of cheese plus extra if you wish to put it on top
600ml of dairy free milk (soya, oat etc)
40g of plain flour
40g of dairy free butter
1/2 tsp of dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and slice the potatoes thinly and place into a microwave bowl with a little water. Add the chopped onions and put on a high power for 3 minutes until the are just cooked through. You can fry these off if you prefer but it depends on how much time you have. Once done lay them on the base of a baking dish.
- Slice the aubergine into 1/2cm to a cm thick and lay them on next, follow with a layer of cooked peppers or you could use fresh roasted peppers if you prefer.
- Pour onto the can of chopped tomatoes and sprinkle with the oregano and chopped garlic and some salt and pepper.
- Now we make the cheese sauce by making a rue. Place your butter in a saucepan and when melted place in the flour and continue to stir on a lowish heat. After a minute or so (and before this starts to burn!) add your milk a little at a time, and continue to stir constantly. This should thicken up very quickly and the milk should disappear into the sauce. At this point add a little more milk and continue until all the milk is gone and at this stage you should have a nice thick white sauce. If you have any lumps you can whisk them out. Add salt and pepper and Dijon mustard to taste. At this stage you can add your grated cheese and whisk in to create a nice smooth sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the bake and place in a preheated oven at 180’c fan or 200’c non fan for 30-40 minutes until browned. I like to push the cheese down half way through the cooking time so that the cheese melts a little better into the sauce as i tend to find it doesn’t brown to well and this way it blends into the sauce.