I love this quiche but its not quite a quiche as you probably know it as it has mashed potato in it so it makes it a slightly firmer texture and the cheese in there make it cheesy and creamy too its such a lovely combination.
I have made this with gluten free pastry, normal pastry, filo pastry and all are lovely apparently as i’ve only eaten the gluten free and dairy free options so this is very adaptable.
Its great hot, cold and warm, its great for lunches, dinners, and picnics so its transportable too. Its a great vegetarian dish, BBQ accompaniment, buffet dish, dinner party dish, party dish, it suits everything! dress it up dress it down it works.
So you will need:
500g of peeled and chopped potatoes then cooked and mashed and cooled.
500g of asparagus spears
200g of cheddar, grated (you could use dairy free cheese here which i have used and works well if you need dairy free)
3 large eggs
1 pot of 284ml of double cream (you can use dairy free alternative here)
1/4 nutmeg with grater
good handful of frozen or fresh peas
I have used filo pastry, shortcrust pastry and gluten free pastry so dive in and use what you need and want!
- So cook and mash your potatoes with no butter or milk, just dry and leave to one side to cool.
- Its up to you if you decide to make your own pastry or if you buy your pastry but I would use shortcrust here. I have a recipe on my site for gluten free pastry which you can use if you are wanting a gluten free recipe. So take a large quiche dish and blind bake your pastry first as you don’t want to get any soggy bottoms here! I would recommend 15-20 minutes in the oven here. I would not cut off the excess of your pastry at this point either as pastry can shrink alot! so leave it on and cut it after you have filled your quiche and you have got the weight in it.
- Whilst this is cooking in the oven take your asparagus speaks and break of the woody ends if required and blanch them in some boiling water for a minute or two so they are just soft and then take them out and run them under cold water to stop them cooking and lay them to dry on kitchen paper.
- In a jug add your eggs, cream and nutmeg and whisk together, Pour this into your mashed potato mixture and stir together to create a thick mixture. Add the cheese and stir in and add a good pinch of pepper.
- When your pastry is blind baked remove it from the oven and pour in the mixture. Lay your asparagus making a nice pattern and arrange your peas around the asparagus. Its personal preference here if you wish to cut your pastry at this stage or after baking but run a knife around the top of the tin to give a nice clean edge. Put the quiche on the a baking tray and return to the oven.
- bake for a further 30-40 minutes until its golden brown and set in the middle.