5   27
4   38
10   63
7   68
3   26
3   45

Gluten Free Shortbread

There is nothing like shortbread, and it is something that i know i missed.  Shop bought cake to me just didn’t hit the mark, however this stuff needs to come with a health warning and you cant just have one piece!! I have been known to polish off the lot in a few days – but there is hope… a top tip.. and i suggest you do this!! I does freeze well so freeze this in between parchment paper and then take out what you want.  Phew ive just saved you a few dress sized lolimg_3897

So you will need:

8oz Butter

4oz Caster Sugar

4oz Cornflour

8oz Plain Gluten Free Flour

Pinch of Salt

Method:

1.  Preheat the oven to 140′ fan, 160 non fan.
  2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until its white and fluffy.
  3. Sieve the dry ingredients into a separate bowl and gradually add to the creamed mixture and knead until smooth.
  4. Take a baking tin which is 12″ x 8″ and smooth into the tin and smooth the top.  Mark into fingers and prick with a fork.
  5. Place in a middle shelf for 30 minutes – 40 minutes until it has a light slight golden colour to it.
  6. Remove from oven and dredge with caster sugar whilst still hot.  Run your knife back along your markings of the fingers you cut carefully with a sharp knife and leave to cool in tin, which will allow this to firm up.
  7. Once the shortbread is totally cool, take a small palette knife and ease the shortbread out.  Store any shortbread in a airtight container with some kitchen paper.  Or you can freeze this in a Tupperware container with parchment paper between.
  8. Enjoy!

12 Comments

1. Gwen McGill
    November 27, 2018 / 9:41 am

Can you tell me do you grease the tin x

• November 27, 2018 / 9:51 am

No I don’t find you need to as the shortbread mixture will have a lot of butter in it which will release. As long as you are using a non stick pan it will be fine. Allow the shortbread to totally cool first before removing and score whilst hot as this will cut down on the cracking before removing from the tin!

2. Nell
    November 28, 2018 / 2:18 am

Hi Claire, thank you, this is amazing! Any suggestion to make this Dairy Free?

• November 28, 2018 / 7:54 am

i have not tried to make this dairy free yet but i would imagine try to use a hard dairy free margarine/butter alternative like hard stork and maybe a bit of trex possibly to give it a bit of shortness if needed. when i get round to trying this i will let you know or if anyone trys it please let me know!

3. Nicole
    December 3, 2018 / 7:09 pm

Do you think this would work to cut into shapes and use as sugar cookies?

• December 3, 2018 / 7:12 pm

You could do this once it’s cooked and cooling down and firm enough but not totally cool as would be to brittle. Would be a lot of wastage though. I think there could be a better recipe though to be honest were you didn’t get so much wastage if I’m honest.

4. December 19, 2018 / 5:27 pm

Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and
    found that it is really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels.
    I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

• claireskitchen
      December 28, 2018 / 3:15 pm

thank you so much so glad you enjoy this 😉

5. December 25, 2018 / 11:30 am

This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post.

Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks!

• claireskitchen
      December 28, 2018 / 3:17 pm

thank you so much so glad you are enjoying this and lovely to have you on board! look forward to sharing my journey with you 🙂

6. December 27, 2018 / 5:46 pm

Stunning story there. What occurred after? Thanks!

• claireskitchen
      December 28, 2018 / 3:18 pm

great… love you are enjoying this… which story was this?