There is nothing quite like a classic Victoria Sponge. This ones gluten free but will work just as well using normal flour too.
So you will need:
2 x 8″ tins
4 large eggs
225g softened butter (you can use dairy free spread here it works fine)
225g self raising gluten free flour
225g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Jam – Strawberry or Raspberry
100g of Butter (if making dairy free do 50g dairy free spread such as pure and 50g hard margarine)
220g of icing Sugar
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract and bit of water
- Preheat the oven to 200′ non fan or 180 fan assisted oven.
- line two 8″ tins with parchment paper.
- I tend to make my Victoria sponges as an all in one mixture in the food processor, Measure it all and put in the food processor and blitz until combined. If you don’t have one put in a bowl and mix with a hand mixer.
- Divide between the two tins and place on a middle shelf for 25 minutes until cooked. Refrain from opening the oven until the cakes have cooked through or at the bear minimum 20 minutes has passed as this can cause the cakes to dip in the middle until they have cooked through! This is very disheartening!!
- Make the butter icing and add a tsp of cold water at a time to get the right consistency but resist making it runny as you want it to hold its own shape.
- When the cakes are totally cool spread the icing on one later of the cake and then a layer of the jam and then place then next cake onto and put another later of icing onto. Done!
- Enjoy. Store any leftovers in an airtight container.