This is a great winter warmer dish, full of vegetables beans and of course sausages. I like to use the highest grade sausages i can get, and of course if you are making this gluten free, then use gluten free sausages. This is a great dish to batch cook and then freeze in portions in foil containers, so if you are exhausted and want a meal when you come in to throw in the oven, bingo!
So you will need: (this is for 4, just multiply for more people)
8-12 Sausages (gluten free if you are making for gluten free)
1 large brown onion, peeled and chopped
1 red pepper, cored and chopped into chunks
2 carrots peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped fine
optional you can add chopped sweet potato and butternut squash which is also delicious.
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp of tomato puree
200 ml of chicken stock
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 handful of red lentils (washed)
1 can of cannelloni beans
1 can of black eyed beans of another favourite bean like kidney bean or bolotti bean
- brown of the sausages with a little sunflower oil in a heavy based large pan, i try to cook all of this in one pan so to save on the washing up.
- once these are browned off, remove from the pan to a bowl for later. Place the onion in the pan to saute off, once they are softened add the garlic and add the sausages back to the pan.
- Add the chopped carrots and peppers, and if choosing to add butternut squash and or sweet potato. Stir and allow to heat and soften and add the spices and tomatoes and stock as well as the lentils and beans.
- At this stage taste the sauce and it may need seasoning
- Put the lid on and simmer for 20 minutes string occasionally to stop it sticking and if required add more water.