This has to be my favourite ever dessert, and my boyfriend wowed my with this and adapted this to be gluten free for me. He is now my husband so this has to have impressed me, as i am a real foodie ? . (but i guess the real person i need to thank is his mum as it actually came from her!)
So this is a really nice dessert as you can make this is advance (you need to chill this a good 4-5 hours in advance so its lovely to get out the way for a dinner party, take to a gathering, you can make as individual portions so if you prefer. If you want to make just one or two two gluten free portions and the rest normal this wont be a problem either. I have made this with just gluten free digestive biscuits if that’s all you can find or its really nice with ginger gluten free biscuits too as complements the lemon nicely.
So you will need:
8″ loose bottom flan dish if possible but if not a flan dish you will be serving in.
2 oz butter
4 oz gluten free ginger biscuits or digestive biscuits
The rind and juice of 2 large lemons
1 small tin of condensed milk
1/4 pint of double cream
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan or gently in the microwave
- Place the biscuits in a bag and crush them with a rolling pin until fine
- Mix the butter and the biscuits together and push them into the base of the tin
- Take the rind of the lemon and place in a medium size bowl, with the condensed milk and double cream and whisk together. Slowly whisk in the lemon juice and you will feel the mixture start to thicken up.
- Pour this mixture ontop of the flan base and leave to chill in the fridge until form (should be 4-5 hours)