I love a frittata and there is so many options here that you could do and make vegetarian one like this one or add meat.
You could keep it simple and do a Spanish omelette, with just eggs, onions and potatoes, yummy, but somehow they taste extra special in Spain!
They taste totally different with bacon or chorizo in, make it spicy with chilli in! They are all delicious….
They are fabulous served hot or cold, for lunches, dinners, snacks, cut up for lunch boxes, as stand by’s for snacks in the fridge with hungry teenagers and children!, great for using left overs in the fridge as you can put all sorts in them! go give it a go as you cant go wrong!
So for this one i cooked this in a paella pan as was cooking this for 25 hungry children at a preschool and used 12 eggs but i would imagine you would want to make something a little smaller. So Here’s a suggestion (it would depend on your size pan as i think a thicker frittata is better). I would suggest using a pan that you can put in the oven if you can with a metal handle or oven proof handle)
for 4 people: (Use this as a guide and add what you have or have a taste for)
1 onions sliced thinly or chopped
1 carrot peeled and chopped smallish
1 stick of celery chopped fairly small
4 potatoes peeled and sliced thinly
Brocolli heads or spinach works well.
1 garlic clove
2 handfuls of mature cheddar grated (or dairy free cheese)
5 eggs and 250ml of milk (or milk alternative) whisked together with a pinch of salt and generous grind of pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180′ fan (200′ non fan)
- Take your slices of potato and put in a microwaveable dish and add a pinch of salt with a couple of tablespoons of water and place in a microwave to soften for about 5 minutes, ideally they should be cooked and soft with a little bit of bite so they hold together.
- Saute the onion, carrot and celery in your chosen frying pan with a little olive oil, ideally than can go in the oven and that has deep sides. You can add broccoli heads if using too. Add a chopped garlic clove, ideally we are not looking for colour we just want them cooked and soft. Add the potatoes they should ideally be soft.
- Crack your eggs into a jug and add the milk and whisk together with some salt and pepper.
- Once these are softened you can add things like spinach or things that dont need to much cooking. Stir the veg together and then pat it down to create a nice shape.
- Turn down the heat on the hob and pour over the egg mixture around the pan so it covers all the areas. Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the top. Leave it to cook for about 1 minute and then transfer to the oven. Cook in a middle shelf for about 10 minutes.
- When you remove from the oven you should see a nice golden brown top and hopefully it was the right size pan to give a puffy top. You will work out how many eggs/veg etc you will need for your size pan as this is a guide. This is lovely served immediately or can serve cold with salad etc.