I love the taste of frangipane and the gorgeous fluffy almondy texture of the filling mixed with the jam at the bottom of the tarts of the pastry cases. What a classic!
So if you are making these gluten free you can either buy gluten free ready rolled pastry or make your own as below:
So you will need:
250g Gluten Free Plain Flour, plus extra for dusting.
1/2 tsp xanthum gum
1/2 tsp salt
180g margarine at room temperature however I’ve used butter
75ml of ice cold water
1. Combine the flour, xanthum gum and salt in a bowl, and the margarine or butter and rub into breadcrumbs.
2. Make a well in the centre and add the ice cold water and knead for a moment. Make a disc and ball and wrap in cling film and place in the refrigerator to chill for 30 mins.
3. Use as normal.
For the frangipane recipe here you will need:
100g ground almonds
100g butter (at room temperature)
90g golden caster sugar
1 orange or lemon – zest and juice
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond essence
sliced almonds to decorate
- Either make your gluten free pastry using the method above or you can by gluten free pastry and allow time to chill in the fridge (approx 30 mins).
- Mix together your frangipane mixture in a bowl. Place the almonds, and butter and caster sugar and cream together. Zest the lemon and orange zest and add to the mixture and the beaten egg, along with the beaten egg and almond essence. Add the juice of the lemon or orange and mix well together.
- Take a non stick mini muffin pan (if making smaller frangipanes) or tartlet pan) and take a round cutter to the appropriate size and cut your pastry out and place your pastry out and place then over the holes and gently push down.
- Place a small amount of jam in the bottom of the pastry case and then a generous dollop of the frangipane mixture on top.
- You can decorate the top with a sprinkling of the sliced almonds to decorate.
- Place in a preheated oven at 180’c fan (200’c non) for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- remove from the tray and allow to cool on a cooling rack.