This is a great recipe for many occasions and freezes very well so you can have them prepared either individually for lunch boxes or snacks or have in batches for entertaining and family dinners. You can vary these for vegetarians or meat eaters, vegans. just adapt your fillings for your guests or who your making them for.
So you will need for the dough:
500g Strong White Bread Flour or OO flour
2 tsp fast action dried yeast
2/3 tsp salt
300ml warm water
2 tbsp olive oil
For the filling:
This could be anything you choose but here is some suggestions:
Passata or tomato pizza base
thin chopped slices of onion
ham, bacon or pepperoni
olives and sun-dried tomatoes
mozzarella, red Leicester and or cheddar cheese
- To make your pizza base, If you have a mixer with a dough hook then through the ingredients into the mixer and mix on a slowish speed to combine and let it do its work for 10 minutes to make a nice smooth elastic dough. Cover the bowl in cling film and rest for 1 hour which the dough should rise considerably in size.
- Knock the dough back and remove from the bowl. Flour your surface and take your rolling pin and roll out your dough as thin as possible to create a rectangle about 40cm wide by about 20 deep.
- Smooth of the surface with passata or tomato base and them scatter with your choice of toppings. I would advise cutting these on the thinner side as apposed to the chunkier side as it will pay of later.
- Scatter lastly with cheese and then begin to roll this up from the side that’s closest to you like a Swiss roll. When you have completed this cut this with a sharp knife in sections (ideally the same size if possible!) about 2 inches deep)
- Take each roll and place this in a deep size tray spacing then about 2cm apart on their sides and then leave them to sit in a warm place for at least half an hour, and they should increase in size.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180’fan assisted oven (or 200 non fan oven) for 20-25 mins.
- If freezing and wanting to reheat in the oven, i cook for slightly less to allow for heating again. Allow to cool and place either a foil tray or a freezer bag. If wanting to use for a snack or lunch box i separate at this stage and put in single freezer bags so they are easy to access and you can eat cold.