There is something very beautiful and satisfying i think about a good old fashioned fruit cake. I love the simplicity and also the richness of the cake and personally i prefer non super sweet things so this suits me just fine as there is not lots of sugar in this cake as it gets lots of natural sweetness from fruit. If you don’t want to make this gluten free just replace the gluten free flour with normal self raising flour and it will come out just fine.
So you will need:
4oz Margarine (you can use dairy free margarine if making dairy free)
4oz Soft Brown Sugar
8oz Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
1 Tbsp of Golden Syrup
Pinch of salt
2 large eggs whisked in a jug and then topped up with milk or dairy free milk alternative to make 8oz
12oz fruit, mixture of raisins, currants, cherries, apricots, whatever you favourites are but this is what are normally add, with the bulk being raisins and currants and just one oz each of apricots and cherries.
1 x 8 inch tall cake tin
- Pre-heat the oven to 150’c (fan assisted) and 170′ non fan.
- Whisk the butter and sugar together either by hand or with a hand whisk or food processor until pale and fluffy.
- Add the flour and the golden syrup and salt and fold in.
- Add the fruit and stir together until mixed.
- Line your tin with baking parchment and a bit of fat to hold it in place and then tip your mixture into the tin.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 1-1 1/4 hours until cooked through.
- Store in an airtight container.