This is such a lovely rice salad and so nice to serve with dinner dishes and lovely for summer dishes and buffets and BBQ’s. I get such lovely comments when i serve this up.
So you will need:
1/2 red onion
1/4 cup of vegetable or sunflower oil
2 cups of long grain rice
2 tbsp of rice wine vinegar
2 tsp light brown sugar
1/2 cup of roasted salted peanuts
1/2 cup of fresh corriander
1/2 cup of fresh mint
1/2 cup of fresh basil
1 bunch of watercress
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp pepper
- With a vegetable peeler take half a the lemon rind off the lemon and put the 1/4 cup of vegetable oil in a small saucepan with the rind and heat on a medium heat until the edges of the zest turn brown. Then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Cook your rice in the normal way and allow to cool and fluff with a fork.
- To make the dressing, juice both the lemons, and add to a medium sized bowl, add the vinegar, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and whisk until the sugar dissolves. Discard the lemon zest from the oil and pour into the dressing and whisk to combine.
- Slice the red onion finely and add to the dressing and let marinade for 15 minutes.
- slice the carrot really thin or take your vegetable peeler and shave small pieces of carrot, add this to your rice, along with the roasted peanuts, cut up cucumber, chopped corriander, basil and mint and watercress.
- Pour over the dressing and enjoy the salad.
- This salad will keep in the fridge also however if you are preparing the salad in advance of an event i would advise adding the watercress before serving as this can wilt if left for along time or you could leave this out.