I have really fond memories of this wonderful cheese and potato pie as my nan used to make this for me alot and especially when i used to go on school trips. So while everyone was having there soggy ham sandwiches i was tucking into this great pie!! Still takes me back even now!!
So for one pie you will need:
Shortcrust pastry you can make your own or shop bought is fine or see my recipe for gluten free pastry recipe (that can be made dairy free too) if you are gluten free. You will need a bit of flour to roll it out. You will need a pie dish or pie plate and depending on the depth or size will depend on how much pastry and filling you will need? I would suggest about 750g as a guide as you will need a top and a bottom.
4-6 Potatoes medium/large size potatoes depending on the size of them, peeled. Also if you have a deep pie dish you will need more or very large potatoes!
250g of mature cheese grated (and can use dairy free cheese if making dairy free)
1 large white onion chopped into thin slices
Salt and pepper
1 egg (if you are vegan you could use a milk alternative to wash your pastry)
1. Take your potatoes and peel them and if you have a processor I run them through the slicing attachment, if not slice them into thin slices. Place these in a microwave dish with a splash of water and a good pinch of salt. Cook these until they are cooked through and drain any water off.
2. Roll out your pastry and take your pie dish and cut a generous circle around it to allow for placing the pastry inside and overlapping and hanging over the edge.
3. Layer your potatoes and then a layer of onion slices and then a layer of grated cheese. Repeat the same again. I normally get two layers.
4. Take an egg and beat together in a small bowl. Run a small layer of egg wash around the rim of the pie edge in order to glue the pastry bottom and top together. (If you are vegan you could use a milk alternative here to wash your pastry and stick your pastry together.)
5. Place the lid of the top of the pastry ontop of the pie then press down with your finger or thumb around the rim to seal the pie. Then take a knife and trim off the pastry to form a neat edge.
6. Take your egg wash and brush over the top of the pie and make a small hole in the top of the pie. You can decorate the pie if you wish with any excess pastry you have over.
7. Bake in the oven near the top in a preheated oven at 180’c (fan assisted) for approximately 20-25 minutes until golden brown.