Shepherds Pie – an absolute classic – and a firm family favourite, however this one does not contain the meat!
This is a great dish to freeze too and even make smaller portions in trays and pop in the oven (and cook from frozen or defrost first) and makes a great quick meal after work or if you have one vegetarian or vegan to cook for.
VEGAN SHEPHERDS PIE
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped into smallish cubes
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped into smallish cubes
- 1 leek chopped into smallish pieces
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped into smallish cubes
- 1 can of green lentils
- 1 large handful of red lentils
- 2 tsp of dried parsley
- 1/2 jar of passata
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed or chopped
- 3 sticks of celery chopped finely
- 300 ml of boiling water with gluten free vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 6/8 floury potatoes peeled cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp dairy free spread like pure butter or olive oil for mash potato to taste
- dairy free milk alternative for mash potato to taste
- In a large saute pan heat some sunflower oil (or rapeseed is also good or you may have your own choice) and place the chopped onion and the chopped celery in a pan and on a low heat. We dont want colour here we just want to make this soft. Add you garlic and then add your chopped carrots and sweet potato and leeks. Cook the vegetables for 10 minutes so they are soft.
- While this is happening peel the potatoes and add them to a large pan with salted water and bring to the boil and cook until soft. When cooked drain then and add your olive oil or dairy free spread and milk alternative to make mash potato in the normal way. Leave this lid off as we would ideally like this to be cool before topping the shepherds pie. It handles much better.
- Back to the shepherds pie…. add the can of green lentils and also the red lentils and then the vegetable stock. Add the parsley and paprika and passata, cook this down with the lid on for 20 minutes to allow everything to cook, When this has cooked down and has a nice thickish sauce and the vegetables is cooked this is ready.
- pour into a oven proof dish and then allow to cool as this will allow the mask potaot to sit ontop and allow you to spread onto alot better. When you are ready. blob on the mash potato and then spread this out with a fork and ut fork line ontop as this allows it go crispy.
- place in the oven when ready (it also freezes well) and cook for 20-30 minutes until browned – you can add dairy free vegan cheese if desired on the top.
Here is a few suggestions you might find helpful. I love these oven ware dishes and use these a lot. Having a handy lid is brilliant for when you have made things in advance or for keeping left overs. They are brilliant to clean to and dishwasher safe.
I also have Anolon pans and i can really rate these! I have had some of my pans for over 20 years and considering i use then a lot!! (like every day, this is hard core use!) They are great at keeping things warm at the table too, as well as looking stylish) The metal handles on the frying pans means they can go in the oven which is great for steaks meat dishes, fish, grilling, as well as omelettes etc.
I recently bought a saute pan from Eaziglide, i was recommend this whilst i was on a shopping trip, i was looking at Le Creuset and this was a comparison but cheaper. I am so impressed with this pan, i had to give it a shout out!! Amazing non stick, you can use metal implements with this and can go in the oven and put this in the dishwasher too. I will be buying more, these pans are incredible!!