This is a great vegan celebration cake and being a baker it still amazes me how this cake rises without egg, its so clever.
You could decorate this however you please but i have chosen fresh raspberries here as i love the colours and freshness against the chocolate here.
You will need:
225g dairy free spread (i like pure sunflower spread)
450ml of dairy free milk (i like oat milk)
1 1/2 tbsp cider vinegar
450g self raising flour
300g golden caster sugar
6tbsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
3/4 tsp of vanilla extract
70g of Dairy Free Spread (such as Pure Butter)
70g of Hard Vegetable Margarine
250g of Icing Sugar
40g of Cocoa Powder
1 tsp of vanilla extract
2 packets of raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 170′ fan assisted, 190 non fan.
- Line 3 8″ round tins with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl pour the dairy free milk and vinegar and stir well.
- Place all the other ingredients into the bowl and stir in well and pour into the tins equally.
- Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 25 – 30 minutes until cooked through.
- Leave in the tins for at least 10 minutes to cool and then run a knife around the edges carefully before turning out onto a cooling tray with care and peeling of the parchment paper. I take another cooling tray and turn the cakes over and then allow to fully cool.
- Take the ingredients for the icing sugar and beat together with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. You will probably need to add a teaspoon of cold water at a time to bind this mixture together until you get to the right consistency.
- Take a cake board and put a blob of your chocolate butter icing on the cake board. Place one of your cakes and spread a generous around the butter icing on this layer and add another layer of cake. Do the same again and then again making your final layer of butter icing very neat. Arrange your raspberries neatly and tadah!!