This gluten free carrot cake is super delicious. This will make a 2 layer sandwich cake or you could choose to make some individual ones as i have shown. I have added a dairy free option too.
Gluten Free Carrot Cake (with dairy free option)
This gluten free carrot cake is super delicious. This will make a 2 layer sandwich cake or you could choose to make some individual ones as i have shown.
- 250 ml sunflower oil
- 4 large eggs
- 225 g light muscovado sugar
- 200 g peeled and grated carrots
- 300 g self raising gluten free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder ensure its gluten free
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 75 g chopped walnuts however leave a handful for decoration on top of the cake
- 25 g icing sugar (you may want more if you like it sweeter but personally i don’t
- 250 g full fat cream cheese can use dairy free cream cheese here if needed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 x 8″ round tin lined with parchment paper or if making individual cakes use a tin
- Preheat the oven to 180′ non fan, 160 fan assisted oven
- in a large bowl whisk together the oil, eggs and sugar
- Stir in the grated carrots
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and spices and the nuts (retaining a handful for decoration). This does not need to be beaten in, just stir in well
- Pour into the lined tins and bake for 35 mins on a medium shelf until baked through
- Remove from the oven and leave for 5 minutes and carefully run a knife round the edge and turn out and cool on a cooling rack
- Make the icing by whipping the icing sugar with the cream cheese and vanilla extract. When totally cool put the icing between the layers of the sponge and on top of the cake and decorate with a handful of the chopped walnuts in the middle.
- note: If using dairy free cream cheese I would advise not whipping this as it tends to go very runny! I would just stir this gently with the sieved icing sugar as to not over work this. If you wanted to give this a twist use some lime zest to give it a zing.
If you have enjoyed this recipe then please let me know and leave me a review or a comment – thank you