Who doesn’t love a carrot cake, personally this is one of my favourites and i will have this hands down over most cake!! This is a great cake and is very moist and tasty. Its a great showstopper and it stores well to in an airtight container.
So you will need:
250ml sunflower oil
4 large eggs
225g light muscovado sugar
200g peeled and grated carrots
300g self raising gluten free flour
2 tsp baking powder (ensure its gluten free)
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground ginger
75g chopped walnuts, however leave a handful for decoration on top of the cake
25g icing sugar (you may want more if you like it sweeter but personally i don’t
250g full fat cream cheese (can use dairy free cream cheese here if needed)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 x 8″ round tin lined with parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 180′ non fan, 160 fan assisted oven
- in a large bowl whisk together the oil, eggs and sugar.
- Stir in the grated carrots
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and spices and the nuts (retaining a handful for decoration). This does not need to be beaten in, just stir in well.
- Pour into the lined tins and bake for 35 mins on a medium shelf until baked through.
- Remove from the oven and leave for 5 minutes and carefully run a knife round the edge and turn out and cool on a cooling rack.
- Make the icing by whipping the icing sugar with the cream cheese and vanilla extract. When totally cool put the icing between the layers of the sponge and on top of the cake and decorate with a handful of the chopped walnuts in the middle.
note: If using dairy free cream cheese I would advise not whipping this as it tends to go very runny! I would just stir this gently with the sieved icing sugar as to not over work this. If you wanted to give this a twist use some lime zest to give it a zing.