This is a fabulous recipe for millionaire shortbreads, but there is a twist! These are gluten free, dairy free, vegan & refined sugar free. I started making it for myself and now my family like it. I keeping a stash in the freezer and i couldn’t wait for it to defrost and found i loved to eat it frozen. Its like it also tasted good – like a frozen ice cream dessert. Sadly for me the rest of my family like to eat this way too, so its no longer my little treat! I have to bury it in the freezer so beware!!
Hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
GLUTEN FREE AND VEGAN MILLIONARE SHORTBREAD (PALEO)
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 3 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil / 70g
- 1 tea spoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tea spoon of salt
- CHOCOLATE TOPPING
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted / 52g
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 170’c degrees
- Place all short bread ingredients into a bowl and mix together
- Line an 8 x 8 inch tin with baking parchment
- Push the short bread ingredients into the tin, i use the back of a spoon or use your knuckles.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Place all caramel filling ingredients into a saucepan and heat gently whilst whisking to break up the almond butter, until a smooth consistency is produced
- Pour over the baked short bread base and place in the refrigerator to set. If you are in a real hurry i do put this in the freezer to speed this up.
- For the chocolate topping, melt the coconut oil until this is liquid then add the cacao powder and maple syrup and mix until smooth. Pour over the caramel layer once. this has set. Sprinkle with sea salt if desired.
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 7 days, or store in the freezer and remove as required. or you can eat this frozen which i think these are delicious.
Here is a few items that you might find helpful, this is the maple syrup that i buy and i think this is a brilliant buy. If you have bought Maple Syrup in the store you will notice how expensive this is and this seems a much for cost effect way to buy this and and can be used in many ways especially is you are planning on cutting refined sugar from your diet.
I find an 8″ x 8″ a very hand tin to have an this is useful for many cakes and bakes. Baking parchment i use all the time and this will help you no end especially with gluten free baking and pastry! It is a life safer!! Great when baking cakes too.