This is my Thai Sweet Potato Soup. This is a such a great soup if you love Thai flavours, and full of great nutritional ingredients. If you like it extra spicy maybe add some extra chilli 🌶.
This soup absolutely picks you up! And is my go to soup if your feeling a bit under par! This is gluten and dairy free too.
Thai Sweet Potato Soup
- Chopping Board
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks of celery chopped
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger – peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled
- 2 red onions peeled and chopped
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 7 tsp of red Thai curry paste or adjust to taste if you like it milder or hotter
- 800 ml of chicken or vegetable stock if making gluten-free, ensure it is gluten free
- handful of coriander leaves and leave a couple of leaves to garnish when serving. If you have some fresh chilli this also looks nice and adds some extra heat for your guests that like extra spice.
- After peeling and chopping the vegetables (you don’t need to do this precisely as we will be blitzing the soup later but just ensure it is chopped into chunks for frying and cooking at a similar time scale). Place the vegetables in a large pan with a little oil and saute off gently with the garlic and ginger.
- After this has cooked though for 5-10 minutes and the onions and celery have softened, add the Thai red curry paste and stir, continue to cook for a minute or two and the spices should become fragrant and release.. Add the coconut milk and the stock, add the lid and continue to cook for about 20 minutes or until all the vegetables are soft.
- Take a stick blender and blitz the soup until smooth or your desired texture, then add a handful of coriander leaves and blitz again until they are chopped into the soup. Serve into bowls and add a couple of corriander leaves and options chopped chilli if desired.
- this freezes well to so if freezing wait until the soup has completely cooled and then transfer to suitable containers and can store for up to 3 months.