A cottage pie is a real classic and loved by many families – this one I’ve made with turkey mince but equally this could be made with lamb (shepherd pie) or beef (traditional cottage pie)
Turkey Mince Shepherds Pie
A Shepherds or Cottage Pie is a real classic dish and a real family favourite in most houses. I have given this one a twist by using Turkey Mince. This is gluten and has a dairy free option.
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped into smallish cubes
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped into smallish cubes
- 1 stick if celery into small pieces
- 500 g turkey mince
- 2 tsp of dried parsley
- 2 tbsp of tomato purée
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 garlic clove peeled and crushed or chopped
- 300 ml of boiling water with gluten free vegetable or chicken stock
- 6/8 floury potatoes peeled cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp dairy free spread like pure butter or olive oil for mash potato to taste
- if you are making dairy free – use dairy free milk alternative for mash potato to taste I love hemp milk
- In a large saute pan heat some sunflower oil (or rapeseed is also good or you may have your own choice) and place the chopped onion and the chopped celery in a pan and on a low heat. We dont want colour here we just want to make this soft. Add you garlic and minced turkey (or meat choice) then add your chopped carrots and leeks. Cook for 5 minutes
- While this is happening peel the potatoes and add them to a large pan with salted water and bring to the boil and cook until soft. When cooked drain then and add your olive oil or dairy free spread and milk alternative to make mash potato in the normal way. Leave this lid off as we would ideally like this to be cool before topping the shepherds pie. It handles much better.
- Back to the shepherds pie…. Add the parsley and curry powder and and tomato purée, add the stock and cook this down with the lid on for 20 minutes to allow everything to cook, When this has cooked turn off the heat.
- pour into a oven proof dish and then allow to cool as this will allow the mash potato to sit ontop and allow you to spread onto alot better. When you are ready. blob on the mash potato and then spread this out with a fork or leave it rough.
- place in the oven when ready (it also freezes well) and cook for 20-30 minutes until browned – you can add dairy free vegan cheese if desired on the top.
If you have enjoyed this recipe please leave me some feedback or leave a review – thank you