This bread is fabulous and an easy loaf to make with no proofing and waiting around. This is wheat free, but to be clear, NOT gluten free! I do love spelt and has such a wonderful nutty flavour. Spelt is an excellent source of carbohydrates and dietary fiber. It is particularly rich in iron, magnesium, phosphorous, zinc, and niacin (vitamin B-3)
Spelt Soda Bread
- Baking Tray or Baking Stone
- Large boel for mixing
- 300 g Spelt Wholemeal flour
- 1 big pinch of salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 230 ml Buttermilk
- So the secret here is to get your oven to temperature here to a scorching 230 degrees and your baking tray pre-heated so it is hot. (or your baking stone if you are using one) So heat and timing is the key here. Once your oven is to temperature with your tray in it so it's super hot then you can begin. Once your baking powder and buttermilk mix the magic happens and there is on a short window to get cooking o don't delay!!
- Mix your dry ingredients together in a bowl incorporating the baking powder and salt through the flour. Then add the buttermilk. Then mix this together to form a dough (maybe easier with your hands). You don't need to knead the dough like normal bread, just knead to make sure the ingredients are incorporated and shape it into a ball. Take a knife and slice a cross through the top then pick it up, carefully take your tray out and put your loaf on and back in that oven and bake for 15 mins.
- When the loaf is cooked through, tap it on the bottom and it should sound hollow. Put it on the cooling rack. Try to wait for it to cool before cutting as this will make it too doughy. You should have a gorgeous dense nutty wholesome loaf great with soup, cheese, butter etc.