These sweet potato pakora’s are just delicious and incredibly easy to make. Feel free to add more spice if you like things hot. These can be deep fried, fried in a little oil for a much healthier version or even cooked in the oven.
These freeze really well too and i like to keep a stash on hand for lunches and snacks and to go with curries too.
This makes about 25 pakora’s depending on the size.
SWEET POTATO PAKORA (GLUTEN FREE AND VEGAN)
- If you have a food processor this is brilliant or a box grater
- large bowl for mixing
- large non stick pan
- 2 cups of Gluten Free Gram Flour Chickpea Flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp of your favourite curry paste
- 2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1/2 head of cauliflower (smalrun the the grater of a processor or thinly sliced.
- 1 small onion chopped or sliced in the processor
- 1 large carrot chopped grated or run through the grater of the processor
- 1 large sweet potato grated or run through the grater attachment of the processor
- If cooking in the oven, preheat the oven at 220’c
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients including the gram flour, baking powder, salt, curry paste, cumin, turmeric, paprika, crushed garlic cloves and then add 1 1/4 cups of water and mix to a thick batter consistency. Leave this to one side.
- I love using my magimix for this however if you dont have this then you could grate all the ingredients. Take the cauliflower and run it through the slicing attachment, then run through the onion. Then change this to the large grating attachment and grate the carrot and sweet potato. Pour the vegetables into the batter and mix well so that everything is coated.
- You may wish to put some in the oven and some on the hob so you can decide which you like best. I prefer them on the hob personally. So if cooking in the oven take a baking tray and place a generous amount of cooking oil and then dollop generous amounts of mixture onto the tray leaving space around the mixtures. Place in the oven for 10 minutes and then turn the mixture over and then cook again for a further 10 minutes and then serve.
- If cooking on a hob, preheat some oil on the hob and the dollop some mixture and gentle fry on a low heat for 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked through and serve.
- these freeze well too so great to have on stand by