There is lots of gluten free pizza bases out there and i have tried a variety of them. I wanted to find one that resembles a more ‘normal’ pizza base and behaves that way. This one you proof like a dough and seems to be the closes i have found yet!
Gluten Free Vegan Pizza Base
- 2 1/2 cups of gluten free all purpose flour – i use self raising flour but you could experiment here as i have also used gluten free all purpose flour too.
- 1 3/4 cups of water
- 1 packet or 2 1/2 tsp of dry active rapid rise yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp xanthum gum
- Use hot water and measure out 1 3/4 cups of water, add the yeast and sugar and sit for 5 minutes and will start to foam.
- In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly or use a mixer.
- Pour the wet ingredients and mix for a few a minutes and will form a stickish dough. If it is too sticky add a little more flour and mix through at this stage.
- Cover in a clean bowl and cover with cling film and allow to sit for 25 minutes and the dough should rise5. Preheat the oven to 200′ non fan and 180′ fan. Place your baking tray in the oven.
- Deflate the dough and divide it in half. Roll the dough out onto baking parchment to desired thickness. A thinner base is better for cooking not such a heavy base in my opinion. Prick the base with a fork all over
- (As i rolled my dough out a heart formed!! how lovely. Place onto the hot baking tray from the oven and cook for 8 minutes. This will help to get a crispier base.
- Remove the base and place your toppings on and place back in the oven for a further 6-8 minutes until topping and sides and cooked.